Kemsley EFW (Energy from Waste) Plant
Client: Wheelabrator Technologies Inc
Contract Value: £80M Overall / £5M MEP Services
A new build facility burning household waste to produce energy, comprising a 43MW combined heat and power plant capable of producing 154 GWh of renewable electricity annually.
Environmental Services Design Limited was tasked with the following design packages:
- MEP Building Services Design for occupied areas
- Cooling systems
- Ventilation Systems
- HV/LV supply options
- Mains and sub-mains LV distribution
- Lighting and Emergency Lighting
- Bonding and lightning protection systems
- CFD analysis of predicted internal temperatures in the main boiler room and turbine hall to demonstrate the effectiveness of natural ventilation and mechanical ventilation options.
- Filtration of incoming fresh air supplies to prevent odour ingress.
- Provision of downflow cooling in HV and LV switch rooms to prevent overheating.
- Co-ordination of MEP services with mechanical smoke ventilation systems and sprinkler systems provided by specialist contractors in all areas.
- All drawings to be produced in REVIT.
- Avoiding potential contamination from services running through the Water Treatment Area, which is classed as risk hazard 4.
- The responsibility for odour suppression from the waste storage area facility is by others.
- Liaising with the various specialist sub-contractors particular to this type of facility.
- Building in a marine environment.